The small village of Žehra (German: Schigra) is located in the central-eastern part of Slovakia, in the Spišská Nová Ves District.
Žehra’s principal monument is its Gothic Church.
The early Gothic Church of Holy Spirit in Žehra was built after 1245 using Spiš travertine. Although it has undergone alterations, these have not disturbed its original medieval character.
The walls of the church are decorated with exceptional gothic frescoes on a variety of themes, dating from the 13th-15th centuries, the most striking of which is the ‘Arbor vitae’ – the tree of life from the first half of the 15th century, iconographically illustrating salvation and damnation.
The Church of Holy Spirit in Žehra – together with Spišské Podhradie, Spiš Castle , and Spišská Kapitula – is included in UNESCO World Heritage List.