Plague Chapel of St. Rosalie, Kosice

The Plague Chapel of St. Rosalie in Kosice had been erected at the bottom of Red bank, and the chapel was built along the design of T.Tornyossy and J.Goresch. The collaboration of J.E. Widman was also of great assistance as when the chapel was constructed.  The Plague Chapel of St. Rosalie was erected near the cemetery during the period between 1714 and 1715 to remain as a memorial of plague that was experienced during the years extending from 1710 and 1711.

Plague Chapel of St. Rosalie, Kosice

{mosgoogle} 

The Plague Chapel of St. Rosalie in Kosice had been erected at the bottom of Red bank, and the chapel was built along the design of T.Tornyossy and J.Goresch. The collaboration of J.E. Widman was also of great assistance as when the chapel was constructed.  The Plague Chapel of St. Rosalie was erected near the cemetery during the period between 1714 and 1715 to remain as a memorial of plague that was experienced during the years extending from 1710 and 1711.

It was in the year 1785 that the Plague Chapel of St. Rosalie had got erected successfully, owing to the efforts of Priest Jozef Sztolzman, and the year 1898 witnessed the restoration of this chapel as Jan Balogh was instrumental to bring about this restoration. During this period, the interior section pertaining to the chapel had got renewed and it also got completed. This is a one-nave chapel that embraces a trunk structure and comes along with a tower, where a helmet that is onion-shaped along with a lantern covers the tower.

The interior decoration of Plague Chapel of St. Rosalie in Kosice dates back to the 18th as well as the 19th centuries. The rood-screen beam at the chapel unveils statues pertaining to St.

Rosalie, as it also has carvings related to puttos holding an hourglass as well as a skull.

The main altar of the chapel belonging to the 18th century unveils a modern painting portraying St. Rosalie. Visitors can come by two side altars that carry statues related to St. Theresa and Holy Virgin.