Franciscan Church, Kosice

Situated in the Main Street at Kosice, the Franciscan Church, referred to also as the Seminary Church is the second oldest of all the churches found in Kosice. The Perenyi family had built the Franciscan Church for the Franciscans after the big fire that had occurred during the year 1333. The preserved Gothic elements of this church also unveil a splendorous plastic Gothic decoration.

Franciscan Church, Kosice

{mosgoogle} 

Situated in the Main Street at Kosice, the Franciscan Church, referred to also as the Seminary Church is the second oldest of all the churches found in Kosice. The Perenyi family had built the Franciscan Church for the Franciscans after the big fire that had occurred during the year 1333. The preserved Gothic elements of this church also unveil a splendorous plastic Gothic decoration.

At the Franciscan Church in Kosice, the reliefs that are spotted above the entrance, vaults found over the sanctuary, stone seats found near that of the altar and the former chancel that has been dedicated to Saint Nicholas are but original elements pertaining to this church. When a fire had befallen this region during the year 1556, the Franciscan Church donned the role of a military store-house, as the sanctuary had also acted as the bishop cathedral pertaining to the bishop of Eger as when he had settled at this place when the Turks had taken control of Eger during the period 1597 to 1671.

The interior section of the church has all the signs of a baroque structure, and the main altar also carries the valuable baldchin structure. On its copula, the statue related to Saint Charles Borromeo, a patron pertaining to the seminary can be found, and the pulpit as well most of the altars belong to the period 1760-1770.