Located in the central part of Slovakia, near the upper Nitra River in the central part of Slovakia, Bojnice Castle has the largest number of visitors among Slovak castles.
It is considered to be one of the most beautiful of the Slovak castles; the castle’s fairytale silhouette of steep roofed towers and palaces is the crown of the upper Nitra valley.
The present romantic castle stands on the site of a 12th century medieval castle. In 1889-1910 its last aristocratic owner, Count John Pálffy, had it reconstructed as a splendid romantic residence on the model of the French gothic chateaux in the valley of the river Loire.
One of the most precious items at the castle is the Bojnice altar by the Italian master Nardo di Cione from the mid 14th century.
The ceiling in the castle’s Golden Salon is magnificent, as are the Turkish leather wall coverings in the Oriental Salon and the chapel with its beautiful stucco vaulting and frescos from 1662.
The castle functions as a museum, now. Bojnice Castle Museum is opened on Tuesdays to Sundays from 10:00 to 15:00 (Oct-Apr) and castle opens daily in high season from 09.00-17.00. (Ticket: 140SK/adult; 70 SK /child).
More photos: Bojnice Photo Gallery